I cannot say enough about frequencies and the role they play in our quality of life. One of the practices I use to shift frequencies touches on elements used by HeartMath, where breathing in and out through the heart is a standard aspect of their practices and I’d like to share it with you for this week’s practice in conscious living. I began this particular practice as part of my daily self-care routine. It originally arose as a means to help me invite my blood pressure into the numbers that I want to have at this stage of my life. What I noticed when I did this practice is that it not only accomplished what I had in mind, it also relaxed my whole bodymind being. That response reminded me of the importance of frequencies and how they affect the quality of our internal life.
So, here’s the practice and I invite you to see how it resonates for you. Also, I’ve chosen two frequencies—love and ease. These may not be the ones that touch you most powerfully, so see what works best for you as you explore this practice. Also, as a side note but a very important one, I think of spiritual teacher David Spangler’s comments about how useful it is to generate frequencies that are inhospitable to qualities we would rather not have in our lives and experience. That’s why it’s important for you to choose the frequencies that resonate most powerfully for you, in terms of what qualities you seek to experience internally.
Also, please remember to push the pause button when you need more time with any of the steps of this practice:
- To begin, take a moment to settle yourself even a bit more now, following the next out-breath down to the bottom of the breath.
- Notice the support of the surface under you and how your body settles into it.
- Rest there for a bit as you continue to breathe normally.
- Now, bring your awareness to your heart space and notice that you can breathe in and out through your heart.
- On the next in-breath, breathe in love and then, on the out-breath, breathe out ease.
- Notice that when you breathe love into your heart, your whole body fills with that frequency and quality.
- Notice that when you breathe out ease, your whole body fills with that frequency and quality.
- You may also notice that your emotions and mind begin to resonate with these qualities, as well.
- Continue to breathe in love, and breathe out ease, offering yourself as much time as you need. Also notice the quality and tone of your inner experience as you do so.
- When you’re ready to complete this practice, bring your awareness to the surface supporting you and the feeling of that support, notice the environment around you, wiggle your fingers and toes and bring yourself all the way back, continuing to resonate with love and ease as you do so.
As with all these practices, please remember to bring along curiosity as your constant companion and to pat gently on the head any judgments that may arise, allowing them to move on through without your having to do anything about them. Also, please make room for mixed feelings, should they arise, also allowing them to be there without having to do anything with or about them in this moment. You can return to them later to explore what they need you to know.
Here’s the audio version of this practice if you’d rather listen to it. Also, please remember never to listen to guided audio meditations while driving or using dangerous machinery.